May 15, 2010

May 14, 2010


Graduation!

I finally did it! All the hard work, stress, and time spent in the last 3 years is being officially recognized. This last Friday I graduated with my Associates... two, actually. I walked for my Associates in Arts and General Studies (with Distinction!). I'm well on my way! :) And it's about time!! :) This was a rough semester. I didn't think I'd be able to pull off an A this semester, let alone 3 of them, but I did it!!
At first I wasn't planning on walking... I didn't understand the point of standing for a long period of time then afterwards sitting through a whole two hour ceremony in the heat just to be handed a fake degree that would eventually be mailed to me anyway. BUT, I am very glad I walked. Even though I didn't like being squished in the heat next to random strangers, it was a very good feeling to walk across the stage. And it felt good to have closure!
I know normally one probably doesn't pay attention to the graduation speakers, and under other circumstances, maybe I'd be one of them. But as cheesy as this is going to sound, one of the talks stood out. One of the speakers struck me with the line "not just an Associates degree". I guess it struck me because that's how I felt. In fact, that's part of the reason I didn't want to walk... because it was "just" an Associates Degree. And the fact that it took me 3 years (compared to the normal 2) to get here made me feel a little embarrassed. But that little speech kind of made me think a minute and realize that I shouldn't be so negative - I should be proud of my "little" Associates Degree... after all, it's one step closer to greatness. :) Even if it isn't as big as a PhD, it's still an accomplishment that a lot of people haven't achieved. I deserve that little piece of paper that acknowledges all the time and hard work spent - heaven knows it wasn't exactly easy for me to make it here!
I am glad I walked... and that my babies were there to see me! Kala was adorable and told me how great I did...  and she and Chad bought me roses :)  (which, as you can tell from the picture, had a rough night.) I did miss my family at the graduation, though. It was completely understandable... I wasn't expecting them to make one heck of a trip for a 2 hour ceremony. But it would have been nice to see them! And I wish that my dad had been able to see it (or even know about it)... but life, as they say, goes on. Even though it feels like it shouldn't, it certainly does. 
Thanks to those who supported me (and continue to do so!) You're absolutely wonderful!!

   

2 comments:

  1. Oh man! I'm so so so very proud of you! I'm sorry I didn't call or anything. Honestly, I would have but things have just been busy what with my and my new job. But Ryan and I DID help your mom pick out an awesome graduation card. Though, if she sent it, we didn't get to sign or anything :/ So Idk. But we did, and we were so happy you were finally finishing up. Actually, when we were picking out your card, we were like "Let's just go to Phoenix" We really wanted to be there to support and congratulate you. But unfortunately life has a way of making somet things impossible. So, I'm sorry we weren't there. But just know that we're all very excited for you, and proud of you. And I know your dad would be too. =] It's so awesome. Even if it's just an Associates Degree, I think it's amazing! I am so jealous. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet - I love you!!!
    We'd welcome you guys here ANY time, you know that!! But it's ok that you guys weren't able to make it. I understand! As much as I/we would have loved to see you guys, I completely understand!
    And thanks for the card - it WAS awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete